Engage and Inspire Ugandan Diasporas
The platform was established 10 years ago, The Ugandan UK Convention, a Trade and Investment Forum has now become firmly established as an annual event in the UK.
Our objectives encompass:
- Inspire Ugandans in the Diaspora to engage in entrepreneurial activity while connecting them to potential collaborators, mentors and business partners
- Encouragement of youth involvement (to understand their culture/language and the importance of upholding Uganda’s visions, promoting the entrepreneurial opportunities for them in Uganda and encourage them to have a voice and be part of the policymaking process
- Encourage Ugandans in the Diaspora to promote a positive image of their nation
- Seek investment opportunities in public and private organizations within Uganda, the United Kingdom and Europe and inform Ugandans in the Diaspora about such opportunities
- Increase remittances inflows through targeted investment products for Diasporas
- Mobilize the Ugandan business communities in the Diaspora for investment and trade in Uganda
- Promote Career and Job opportunities in Uganda (addressing the challenges of ‘brain drain’); Skills Data Bank (holds CVs of qualified Ugandans around the world); Online Career Guidance service (to foster diversity of skills and encourage young Ugandans into the labour force); Project Announcements (to increase awareness of Ugandan-led projects); Matching of professional skills available in Uganda diasporas and job offers in Uganda·
- Devise and organise programs to create stronger cohesion, cooperation, and foster a spirit of unity and support between various tribal Ugandan communities in the UK. This is a big priority to ensure the long-term success of Diaspora members.
- Work closely with private and government organs to assist in creating the “enabling environments” for Diaspora engagement, including policies and programs affecting return, retention, virtual participation/contributions and investment in development.
- “Control the Narrative: Uganda is the Land of Opportunity”: Pivoting the role of the Ugandan Diaspora from family remitters to financial and social investors
- Support Ugandan and UK businesses in bilateral trade, business and investment
- Create a platform for trade, business and investment between Uganda and Europe (UK) and promote and facilitate access to trade opportunities in Uganda (East Africa) for Ugandan and European (UK) investors, including one-to-one meetings
- To maintain a dialogue with business organisations who can promote trade opportunities in Uganda, including the Federation of Small Businesses, Chambers of Commerce, the Institute of Directors, the Confederation of British Industry and the City of London.
- Promote Ugandan exports and identify export opportunities, so that the export earnings close the gap with the import demand and promote the transformation of Uganda from a current consuming nation into a producing nation. We will also engage closely with the Ministry of Finance and Investment Authority in Uganda for advice and information.
- Encourage investments in the key sectors, i.e. education, health, infrastructure, agriculture, housing, sports, tourism and many more.
- Exhibit and celebrate the rich diversity of their cultural heritage and encourage Ugandans to be more active as ambassadors for Uganda’s culture – food, clothes, social life etc.
Your contribution will help us to continue with the work we started 10 years ago, which has inspired many Ugandans and improved live-hoods, contributed to the economic socio-development of Uganda’s economy.
In light of current Coronavirus restrictions, UCUK has morphed the popular Uganda-UK Annual Convention into a fully virtual experience this year 2020!
In 2021, the event is schedule as follows:
- Day 1: Friday, 10th September 2021.
- Day 2: Saturday, 11th September 2021
At Park Plaza London Riverbank, 18 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TJ.